How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I got married to a Gambian man in Gambia through the

Customer Question

I got married to a Gambian man in Gambia through the Justice. The marriage is recognised in UK. I later found that he had married another woman the year before in the Muslim way. Muslim marriages are legal in Gambia, and I was told that my marriage was invalid as his Bachelor certificate that he produced at the Registry was a fraud. The only evidence that I have is their emails to one another through the first two years of my marriage, her email stating the date of their marriage, and the two divorce letters that he sent to her Uncles whilst married to me. Would this be enough evidence? Furthermore, I stayed with him in a co existing way for our children's sake for a further 6 years following that information. He came and went throughout. I had a home in my name before we met. I payed ALL the bills as he was useless with money and lived off me most of the time. I bought 3 plots of land in Gambia with him. My house is worth £140,000, and I have 4 grown up children and two aged 7&11. The intention was to leave that to them. I have 35,000 left from the proceeds of a sale of my home which will be gone soon. He has got a Solicitor to put home rights notice on my home, and wants account of where the money from recent sale has gone. The decree nisi is set for 20th May. It was initially on the grounds of 5 year separation but he is hyping up his relationship in that period, and I mentioned other marriage, so being heard by Senior Judge. 1. Is there any chance on the information I have to annul the marriage? 2. Does he have good chance of getting given some of my assets? We originally agreed that he has the land worth £15,000 and I bought him a car and paid rent on his flat that he now lives in.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to assist you fully:-Please confirm if you are in England or Wales?-When did the original marriage take place?-What notice of it being invalid do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
England. 2007 in Gambia. No notice just a Solicitor in Gambia said if he married Muslim way legal in Gambia when he married me lawful it was invalid due to lawful marriages having to be monogamous hence bachelor certificate. I only have her email with date of marriage to her 2006 and his divorce letters 2009 as proof.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - to clarify, the divorce letters in 2009 - are these in relation to you or the other wife?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other one as thats how you do it Muslim way
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank. Firstly you will need to find out whether the marriage was formally annulled or invalidated in Gambia, as if it was you would legally not be married and the current divorce proceedings in England will not be allowed to progress. I cannot assist with the Gambian law, and you will need to make enquiries there to see whether it was formally invalidated.If it turns out to be invalid, you would need to inform the court in England and the divorce proceedings must be discharged and Decree Nisi should not be granted if the marriage was invalid. Furthermore, if the marriage was invalid he would not be able to continue with a financial relief claim against you and can only pursue a claim against joint assets. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.