How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother is thinking of helping us to buy a house by giving

This answer was rated:

My mother is thinking of helping us to buy a house by giving us a chunk of her pension. She wishes in return for us to send her a replacement income each month for the duration we have the house. She is worried that if my husband and I get divorced in the future she would lose that income. She also worries that he would be entitled to her money in a divorce settlement. Is there anything legal my husband can sign to say that he doesn't want any of her money in such a scenario?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWould you say that it is a former loan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is savings that she sees as being a pension but not through a formal pension scheme. She hasn't given it to us yet and I guess it would legally be a gift rather than a loan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or do you mean a personal loan between family members?
Yes that was what I was thinking it could be treated as - would that be acceptable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's a possibility if that makes a difference legally
If it was a loan - repayable in instalments - then there could either be a Charge against the property - or simply a signed agreement confirming the terms of repayment which would be binding in the event of a divorceI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you