How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex partner does not want to provide financial statements

Customer Question

My ex partner does not want to provide financial statements to my solicitor and I am worried that pressing on to resolve this will eventually cost me thousands of pounds which I cannot afford. I have provided all the documents I have been asked for. We have had our decree nisi but this situation is holding the decree absolute up. I was awarded all costs of the divorce to date but I don't think this will include ongoing financial matters. Also I receive benefits to support me and our children and am concerned about the impact of any possible settlement. I worry about further appointments and letters as every one costs so much. Please advise me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.If the court granted a costs order with the decree nisi, you are correct that this will only be in relation to the divorce application costs only.Have your proceeded eith a financial relief application regarding the finances? Or are you only doing it through solicitors at the moment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only through solicitor and i had a 90 minute telephone interview with a mediator. My ex refused to do his interview with the mediator
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. As he has refused to mediate, then you are able to pursue an application to court. I would suggest that you do pursue this as the court gives a strict timeframe for dealing with the proceedings as well as consequences (such as costs orders, fines or imprisonments) for non-compliance with court orders and disclosure. I appreciate that the costs of going to court will be expensive but it will guarantee that the matter will be dealt with whereas currently, your ex-partner has no obligation to continue with the negotiations.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.