How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband has just moved out of our joint home and is going

Customer Question

My husband has just moved out of our joint home and is going to rent somewhere. He has decided to rent somewhere big enough for our 2 children, but they live with me. I don't know how we can afford to pay for 2 houses. How much will he have to pay into the joint pot each month? I am self employed and am not able to work because of stress and therefore do not have an income currently. He earns 75k I earn 12k as I have been looking after the children and working part time. The children are now 16 and 14. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Is your 16 year old in A-Levels or an approved government training course?-What assets do you both have (both joint and sole)-How long have you been married?-What will the arrangements be for the children to be with him (eg. how many nights a week will they stay over?)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is just about to do his GCSE's in 3 weeks - so really bad timing to destabilise everything - and expect him to have another house to go and be expected to live in sometimes. After that he will go to A level college next year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been together 18 years. Married 10. We don't have an arrangement of how long they will stay with each parent. I want them to live with me. They are old enough to choose. We have been in this house for 14 years so it is their home
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assets we have this property, and I have inheritance money from my mother
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. Initially, you will be entitled to child maintenance which will be calculated based on the father's gross income (as long as he is not the resident parent) and how many nights a week on average the children stay over with him. You can submit an application to the Child Maintenance Service directly to deal with this.In relation to other finances, alongside a potential divorce you can pursue an application for financial relief which will deal with the home and wider matrimonial assets. Given the children are 14 and 16, you have good argument to remain in the property until they finish at least A-Levels, and for the property to then be sold and equity divided - therefore creating security for the children until they are old enough to go to university.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.