How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I currently have a court order in place to pay child maintenance,

This answer was rated:

I currently have a court order in place to pay child maintenance, in June my financial circumstances will change in that I will be unemployed, what do I do to have the order adjusted accordingly? There are mitigating circumstances in that I am currently registered as working abroad for UK tax purposes ie UK non resident until my return in june
Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm how old the children are, and also under what legislation was the court order made (ie. was it by consent as part of divorce settlement or under the Children Act?) - it should state it on the top of the order.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son is 12, the order was made as part of a divorce settlement in 2014
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry as part of a consent order
Thank you. As the child maintenance was made by agreement in a consent order, after 12 months of the approval of the order either of you would have been able to apply to the Child Maintenance Service for their assessment which supersedes the consent order. As you may not have been in the UK at that time you would not have been able to. However, upon your return to the UK you can apply to the CMS here: 0800 0835 130. Their calculation will be based on your gross income and how many nights a week (on average) your son stays with you.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice