How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Claire, i have an endowment policy that has matured with an ex partner, we weren't

This answer was rated:

Hi Claire, i have an endowment policy that has matured with an ex partner, we weren't married, I have paid all of the premiums to keep it going as it was tied to my property. She is refusing to sign the maturity form, so I am unable to get my money back.
Is there anything I can do, Zurich have all of her details and they are aware I have made the payments.
HiThank you for your questionHow much is the Policy worth?How much have you offered her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£41,1497.20 is the matured value of the policy, I spoke to her before Christmas and she did agree at that time to sign the policy, at that time I offered her £1,000 as she may have paid a small amount at the beginning, but she turned it down and said I could keep it all, since then I have been unable to speak to her as she wont respond to calls. Yesterday I spoke to her sister who was happy to take the form to her to sign on my behalf, but last night I got a text from her sister to say she is refusing to sign it.Regards
How long have you paid into it - and how long have you been separated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since November 1991, We split up up not long after that, probably 3 months, the property that the endowment was linked to was signed over to me, at the time I assumed the endowment was as well.We had 2 seperate policies originally that were linked to the house from 1988, but these were surendered and paid up at the time in 1991 and this new policy started.
Was there any court order regarding the property transfer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, she signed it over to me without any issues in 1991, the property has been sold and I had to make up the difference as the endowment is £12,000 below what it was originally meant to be, so at the moment I have had to cover it all as I cant get the money from this policy.
OkCan you think of any reason she has now changed her mind - other than greed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think it is greed as she hasnt made any request to either myself or Zurich for any money, i offered her £1000 before xmas and she turned it down.
The problem is that if she will not agree to sign then the only option is making an Applictaion to the court for an order that you alone are entitled to the moniesThis will involve time expense and annoyance - but you should be able to deal with it yourself.You need to write her a formal letter confirming that if she does not sign then you will have to make a claim and will then claim costs.The form you need is here will be asking the court for a declaration that you alone are entitled to the proceeds - and an order that your ex signs the formsI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** is something that can be resolved in my favour.
Yes it is - it will just be hassle - not impossible!
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice.