How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been sent a letter from my ex partners solicitor.

This answer was rated:

I have been sent a letter from my ex partners solicitor. He is seeking to dissolve our civil partnership. The letter states this will be under '2 years separation with consent' and to not proceed a 'blame' basis. They have asked me to pay for half the costs of this (515). It states that it is a clean break as we have already sold our house and sorted all financial issues.
However the letter then states, 'on a related note' we have been advised by our client he has been the victim of domestic abuse throughout our relationship which culminated in our separation. Then states their client wishes I cease all communication with him.
My question is, if I agree to pay half and dissolve the civil partnership for the 2 years separation, am I agreeing that the rest of this letter is true. It is not, we were together 14 years and I left him as he was cheating on me. We had agreed to wait the 2 years so we did not have to assign blame. I just feel the rest of the letter is not relevant and all bluster on his part.
Many thanks
Stephen Elwell
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi, thank you for your question. You can respond to them and state that you agree to the two year separation by consent and clean break (if this is correct) but that you dispute the allegations of domestic violence. It will have no bearing on the dissolution or finances in any event.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you