How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1436
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My husband and I separated 10 years ago. After 3 years he

This answer was rated:

My husband and I separated 10 years ago. After 3 years he applied for a divorce. We started to sort it out and we saw solicitors. I agreed to a divorce as long as the finances were sorted out and signed a decree nisi. We went to mediation but my husband did not bring the financial information with him and told us he was going to work in New Zealand for a year. He has not come back to live in the UK and has got his residency and citizenship in New Zealand. Despite my efforts he has not replied to contact regarding the finances and divorce. He arrived in the UK yesterday with his new wife and told my daughter that we were divorced. I have not heard anything from my solicitor or the courts to confirm this. Can you help?
Hell Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. If it was your husbands application for divorce then it would have been possible for him to obtain decree absolute if you had acknowledged the divorce to confirm that you did not intend to defend the divorce. The above being said - the court should have sent you a copy of the decree absolute. First port of call for you is to contact the court that dealt with the divorce. If you do not get the answer that you need from the court then you need to check the central records and this link will show you how: If it does transpire that you had not actually divorced - then you need to report your husband to the police so that they can investigate Bigamy. In respect of the matrimonial finances - as you have not remarried - then you are not prevented from making a claim - even if you are divorced. New rules mean that you have to refer your case to mediation before you can go to court. If your ex does not engage in mediation or matters cant be agreed at mediation - then the mediator will sign the form that you need for court. Please let me know if I can help you further. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response. I will contact my solicitor and the courts
Glad I could help :)Thank you for using Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could my husband have gone to a court in New Zealand or would he have to go through the original court here?
Hello The UK court has jurisdiction - so this would have had to have be done in the UK. Kind regards Caroline