How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35088
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am an American who is married to a British citizen

This answer was rated:

I am an American who is married to a British citizen and we are currently living in Switzerland. We are planning to move to the UK permanently in September. I however need to get my visa and this is where i am having questions. On the on-line application page there is no box to tick for our situation which is my wife and I will be coming together. She is not yet settled in the UK.
This is question 2 on the form:
What are you coming to the UK to do?
Tourism, including visiting friends or family
Work, academic visit or business
Transit (on your way to somewhere else)
Join partner or family for a long stay
Get married or enter into a civil partnership
Visit your child at school
Get private medical treatment
For official diplomatic or government business (including transit through the UK)
Next step
I would assume to tick "Join partner or family for a long stay".
This is the third question:
You’ll need a visa to join your family or partner in the UK for a long stay
You don’t need a visa if you’re visiting family or a partner for 6 months or less.
The visa you apply for depends on your family member’s situation.
1. They’re settled in the UK
Apply for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if your family member or partner is a British citizen or they’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and settled in the UK.
2. They’re working or studying in the UK
You may be able to apply as a ‘dependant’ of your family member’s visa category if they’re from outside the EEA and they’re working or studying in the UK.
3. They’re from the EEA
Apply for a family permit to join your family or partner for a short or long stay if they’re living in the UK.
As you can see there are no boxes that fit our situation. My question is do I tick box 1 and go from there? However we do not yet have dates and address of where we will be at this time. We need to get my visa before we make those arrangements.
I have tried to call all numbers available where I am always told we can not offer advice you must choose the box that identifies your situation, even when I say there is no box that fits our situation.
To continue, we have been married for 24 years, we have an 18 year old daughter who holds a British and American passport who is at boarding school in the UK but is still legally resident here in Switzerland.
Please advise.
Kerry Grummert
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first.Can your wife meet the Financial Eligibility requirements?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HelloYes, I believe that we are required to show financial bank statements that show we have a minimum of £18,000. per year for 2 or three years. We will be coming to the uk with an excess of £500,000.00.My wife works for the United Nations and will be leaving her job in June and I was director of students for an American private university here in Geneva.I do believe that we meet the financial requirements.We have also just found out that we should apply for the EEA visa which does seem to fit more closely our situation.Best regards,Kerry Grummert
You are indeed correct - you need to apply for an EEA permit - which is a great deal easier to obtain.You can find out more here if you did not have that option your answer would indeed have been that you are joining your partner - and then gone for option1Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you