How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am a single father with an 11 year old daughter.

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am a single father with an 11 year old daughter. My ex partner (we were not married) and I have a verbal agreement over childcare which means we have her for approx 50% of the time each. I pay a small amount of maintenance also towards school diners, uniform etc.
Relations between us are not great but we do have a manageable relationship regarding our daughter. I wish to take my daughter out of school for 2 days in June but my ex is very against it. I understand the school do not authorise any absence and I may be liable for a fine. What is the legal position regarding me and my ex if we have no formal or legal agreement between us regarding taking her out of school ?
Many thanks- Alan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi, thank you for your question. In relation to informal child arrangement agreements between parents, these are not legally binding unless there is a court order ratifying the agreement. Therefore if she finds your actions unreasonable and not in your daughter's best interests she will have cause to end the current agreement and you will be in an unfavourable position having to persuade the court or the mother that it was in her best interests to take her out of school on unauthorised leave.To be honest, it may be in your best interest to consider whether it is absolutely necessary as it is always best not to rock the boat.I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you