How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband and I have decided to get a divorce. I am filing

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have decided to get a divorce. I am filing the documents next weeks but i have the chance now to buy a home with the help of my father. I am not using of the joint savings for this purchase. Is there a way that i can make sure my husband cant claim for 50% of this home during the divorce procedure?
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-How long were you married?-How long have you been separated?-What are your respective income positions?-What assets do you both have, including pensions?-How old are you both?-Do you have any children, if so their ages and arrangements
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got married 31/08/2014. We have been separated since the beginning of march. I am currently unrmployed but will possibly start employment in the next 2 weeks, my ex is self employed with monthly net earnings around £2000. We dont own any property together, just a car & motorcycle. I am 32 years old, my ex is 52. We have 1 daughter where i have prinary custody over.My ex has been very cooperative and we have already agreed on the split of everything. The dicorce will be based on grounds of adultery
Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to fully prevent him from claiming against it until there is a court order approving your financial settlement which can only be done once decree nisi is in place, however as you have a child in your care your needs will be higher and housing her will be the court's priority therefore any claim against you will likely be ineffective.You may also wish to think about getting your father to enter into a deed of trust regarding his contributions - this will protect whatever he has put in to the purchase.Either way, you will need to disclose the purchase when submitting the financial agreement to court for approval if it is in your name at the time.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you