How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex is off-setting pretty much all my maintenance against

This answer was rated:

My ex is off-setting pretty much all my maintenance against our mortgage (I live in it with the children)and his life insurance.He is refusing to pay child maintenance on top.
The house is on the market but not selling. Is he allowed to do this?
He will get half of the house when sold.
I can't see why he can do this, as effectively I am paying HIS mortgage.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are you in Englamd or Wales?-Is there a formal child maintenance application or a court order in place?
Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In england. He has refused to sign a consent order( final hearing last july).
Thank you. Child maintenance is a legal obligation to be paid directly to the main carer of the children. He is not able to "off-set" it against the mortgage payments. If you have no formal child maintenance application I would suggest you contact the CMS (here: who will calculate his legal liability and provide you with enforcement options.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you