How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Me and my partner have split up, he wont let me in the

Customer Question

Hi, me and my partner have split up, he wont let me in the house, we are both on the mortgage and he wont give me any information on the solicitor we purchashed the house with or let me in the house to get me and my childrens belongings. How can I find out who the solicitor is with as he is saying I signed a document that says I only own 10% and he owns 90%. We have 2 children together and he is also saying he is coming to collect the family car (even tho he has a work van) and therefore me and children will not be able to get about. We have lived together for 4 years but not married! Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. It will be difficult to find out who the solicitor is without you having any paperwork, but if he is stating that there is agreement then this will be recorded. I would initially suggest you check the Land Registry and obtain a copy of the title deed which shows how the proeprty is held: Other than that, if you are the children's main carer he has an obligation to provide for them in terms of child maintenance and if you are unable to you can claim against him to house you and the children. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.Whether he owns 50% or 90% is not relevant - if you are a joint owner of the Property then you are entitled to enter the property whenever you wish - breaking in if necessary.Accordingly you can wait until he is out and then simply go and collect whatever you wish.However you are also entitled to apply for an Order allowing you to return to the property to live with the children and Excluding him.Indeed in the long term this is the most likely outcome of any dispute since he is under a duty to help house the children until they are 18.How the equity will be divided when the house is sold will depend on many things - and it is for him to produce the evidence - not youPlease ask if you need further detailst
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.