How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have had a haitian girlfriend past 4 years, we are

Customer Question

I have had a haitian girlfriend for the past 4 years, we are now married (november 2015) and have 3 month old son.
I live in Haiti for 6 months then return home for a month or two and then return for a further 6 months. I have been in Haiti for the past 6 years.
My wifes passport is still in her maiden name and our son, Laikken does not have a passport.
We have our marriage certificate, our childs birth certificate.
I have not been married since 1987 when my wife passed away, I have her Death Certificate.
I have independant funds of approx £58,000 plus I have a pension of about £450.00 which is more than adequate in Haiti. I have a house in the UK which is mortgage free.
What I want to do is bring my wife and child to the UK to meet my family and and hopefully be able to gain our boy a dual nationlity.
We do not want to live in the UK, the intention is to sell my house during our stay and return to Haiti.
We have rented accomodation in Haiti and I am the signature on the lease agreement.
All we want to achieve is a visitors visa, the problem is we do require two visa the second because we transit via the USA, the second problem is there is no Embassy/Consulate in Haiti, the nearest being an outsourced office in the Santo Domingo who nothing else other than give you a DHL envelope and tell you to send your documents to the British Embassy in New York!
Please... all we want a visitors visa! Im in the UK now returning on the 28th May, any advice would be wonderful, i just cant seem to make any progress at all.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstDo you intent to get a UK passport for your son?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that is at all possible Clare, Haiti is a violent country and not the place for a mixed race person. I want him to have the opportunity when older to hopefully go to Uni in the UK.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Since you are named on his birth certificate you can simply apply for a Uk passport for him as you would apply for any child.You can apply for a visitors visa for your wife online if need be details here ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does my boy have to be in the UK to undertake that process? Sorry Clare, Im a bit cautious in these matters
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No he doesn't have to be in the Uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he was born in Haiti and has a haitian birth certificate I know the first question is sort of self answering lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much Clare... if only things were easy lol
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
He is entitled to a British Passport by virtue of your being his father!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome I hope all goes well