How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I separated from my ex partner (not married) last year,

This answer was rated:

Hi, I separated from my ex partner (not married) last year, we sold our house and split the equity 50/50.
We went through mediation, agreed the document, and she had her solicitor write it up (adding an extra 3k to be paid to her a year which I have been told would be unlikely to stand up in court).
My problem is that she is a Narcissist and is still using the silent treatment with me concerning my daughter. She tells me nothing about her education, and over the last few days she has been in hospital twice and my ex has said nothing to me about it.
I pay twice what I have to for my daughter, get unreliable access and no communication, my daughter is used to pass messages, which is terrible.
What is my best course of action? Is it to take her to court?
Oli Pyke
Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm how old your daughter is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 16.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I totally forgot, due to the old law (idiotic) and her age, I do not currently have official parental responsibility, although I have read that courts see this as less of an issue with a separation agreement. I am her biological father, am on the birth certificate, have brought her up and lived with her all her life.
Thanks for confirming. As your daughter is now 16 years old, you will not need to pursue an application to court to see her. The courts only deal with child arrangement issues for children aged 16-18 if there are exceptional circumstances, for example if the child is disabled. Your daughter will be old enough to decide for herself whether she wants to see or communicate with you and you do not need to involve the mother.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My problem isn't seeing her, so much as her mother not telling me what is going on educationally and medically. She says nothing.
You could still speak directly to your daughter about such matters given her age. As you are not on her birth certificate you do not have parental responsibility and unfortunately you are not automatically entitled to access to information regarding education and health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on her birth certificate but do not have parental responsibility
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is also mentioned in the separation agreement.
Thanks, ***** ***** she refuses to provide you with the details you have requested the separation agreement cannot be enforced and your only option would be to ask your daughter directly for the information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a legal document approved, or stamped by the court though.
Thanks - if the court had made the order for her to disclose such things then it would be enforceable but you will have to go through the whole court process in order to enforce the order and obtain this disclosure - and the costs and time of which may outweigh the benefit. Have you tried requesting the information from your daughter?
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Just to add - for clarity there is no longer any court application that you can make since your daughter is over 16 - it is up to her what informtaion you receive