How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I need to find out what rights I have, as currently I am a

This answer was rated:

I need to find out what rights I have, as currently I am a father to be and emotionally bonded to my step child of the same woman.
Now that she is pregnant our relationship has deteriorated and we no longer can stand each other. I temporarily lived in her parents house with her and my step child while we were together, now we don't get on, I have moved back to my own property which is my permanent residence.
She says she is cutting off all contact which is fine for me to do with her, as I no longer want any interaction with her.
My question is what rights do I have as a Father who wants to still see both the step child and bio child? I still want to be a Father to both children.
She is preventing me from seeing my step child who (I have known since he was 18 months old) but is adamant that I support my bio child. I am happy to support him. As I was happy to support my step child. But she is preventing me from seeing my step child. I believe that if given access to one and not the other, my step child will be resentful toward me about the situation, I love him and am more than happy to still be his father. He also calls me daddy.
She has continuously sent me texts to provoke my anger and antagonise me to make me angry which is affecting my life. She's accused me of many things. We have been abusive toward each other and I have tried to communicate and make civil arrangements with her, but I'm met with an abundance of abusive texts and phone calls, I would like some help and advice if possible.
Hi, thank you for your question. In the circumstances you have demonstrated that you have a relationship with the child. I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:1.The wishes and feelings of the child concerned2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedingsIf you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you