How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I currently live with my partner and share ownership of our

This answer was rated:

I currently live with my partner and share ownership of our house which has 30,000 outstanding on our mortgage. I would like to leave the relationship but am unsure what options I have as regards ***** ***** house. If I left and moved back with my parents, would I be relinquishing my rights to half the house.
Hi, thank you for your question.As long as your name is ***** ***** title of the property this is a legal interest and this remains whether you stay in the home or leave. You will have a right to occupy the property and a share of the equity upon sale of the property - your share of the equity will be in relation to what your share of the title is. Your partner will be unable to sell the property without your permission.If you wish to receive further information please confirm:-Are you married to your partner?-Do you have any children together, if so their ages?-Are there any deeds of trust or formal agreements in place?In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you