How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Just want to find out if my daughter who is 2years old entitled

Customer Question

Hi just want to find out if my daughter who is 2years old entitled to any of her dad's assets?me and her dad were never married to each other but have a daughter between us,he owns his own house,property business,assets aboard,he is married to wife and has 2daughters that he lives question is the 2year old would be entitled to any of his assets in the future if so what do I need to do to get her rights on his property?thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. If he does not have a will in place, then upon his death she could possibly be entitled to inheritance under intestacy rules (where there is no will in place). Intestacy rules work by giving his wife all his estate up to the value of £250,000. Everything above that will be divided 50% to his wife and 50% equally between all his children. His wife will also inherit all his personal possessions.If he has a will in place then it will be in accordance with his wishes and if he makes no provision for your daughter in the will then she can apply to challenge the will.Furthermore, in relation to current child maintenance, this will be calculated on his gross income. If you are unable to meet housing needs for your daughter, you would be able to apply to court under the Children Act, in order for him to provide housing or lump sum financial support to assist.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.