How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34893
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been contacted by a 34 year old man who claims he is

This answer was rated:

I have been contacted by a 34 year old man who claims he is my son. Although I am not on his birth certificate he says he had evidence to prove I am his biological father and he says he just wants me to acknowledge him as his son and put my name on the certificate.
Can he force me to do this by legal means?
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.Is it possible that it is true and is he willing to pay for a DNA test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure, he says he was born 23 Sep 83 but I flew out of the country 15 Dec 82. Although this is cutting it fine there might be a very slim chance it's true.
DNA test yes think he is willing to pay for one.
Unlikely but technically possibleIf this man applies to the Court for a Declaration of Parentage then a DNA test will be ordered - and if you refuse then it will be presumed that you are the father.Accordingly I suggest that you agree to a DNA test being done by a reputable company.You shoudl also make a Will as if he is your biological child and there is no Will he would have a potential claim on your estate.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you