How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Good afternoon, I am looking guidance in relation

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon, I am looking for legal guidance in relation to me moving out of my current area to a new place and what if anything my ex partner and the father of my three girls can do about it? He has parental rights for my two youngest daughters and currently sees them all two days a week during the school week However if I move away (2 hours 30 away) this will probably cause him issues, so what I want to know is this
a. Can he legally stop me?
b. What could he do to cause me to not go.
Any help would be appreciated.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist:-Are/were you married to your partner?-What are the reasons for moving away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, never married
New partner lives works away and I have the chance of a job there
Thank you. As he has parental responsibility for two of the children he has a right to be consulted regarding the move and especially as it will impact the contact arrangements between him and the children. In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a specific issue order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:1.The wishes and feelings of the child concerned2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedingsIf you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you