How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I'm a guy aged 37 and started to see

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir or Madam,
I'm a guy aged 37 and started to see a girl aged 30. She fell pregnant after two weeks of seeing her, but we kept the relationship together until she was 5 months pregnant. She ended the relationship with me and said that she wants to do the pregnancy and looking after the baby on her own.
She doesn't have any savings and is currently living with her parents. Her parents do not want her to stay at their house once the baby is born.
I initially offered to allow her to stay with me as friends so that we could take care of the baby, but was advised that it wouldn't be a good idea incase she takes the house from me (if only until the baby is 21).
I would like to know please what can I do to help her financially without leaving myself open to legal precedings should our relationship not work out?
Potentially I would like to rent some accommodation with her so that I can see her and the baby without her having any legal power over me again should the relationship not work.
Thank you for your help.
Hi, thank you for your question. If you are not in a relationship she will be able to apply for child maintenance, which is a monthly/weekly amount of money you are legally obligated to pay and it is based on your gross income and the amount of time the child stays with you on average per week.Furthermore, if she cannot afford to house herself and the child she is also entitled to apply to court for you to meet their housing needs - but this will only be successful if you have the financial means to meet your needs as well as theirs.If you were to resume a relationship and the property or tenancy is registered in joint names then you will both have legal rights to live there. Whereas, if the tenancy or property is in your sole name you will be able to "evict" her upon reasonable notice.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you