How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I signed a consent order to make spousal maintenance payments

This answer was rated:

I signed a consent order to make spousal maintenance payments to my ex-wife. My circumstances have now changed (baby on the way with my new wife) which will mean I can no longer afford to make these payments at all. If my ex wife does not agree to allow me to stop making these payments what options will I have?
Many thanks.
Hi, thank you for your question. You will need to make an application to court to vary the spousal maintenance. Do not stop paying the agreed maintenance as you will be held in contempt and your ex-wife will have enforcement options against you.The procedure follows the same as financial relief proceedings and you will need to submit a new Form A together with a £255 court fee to court and request to "vary" the periodical payments.Initially this should be attempted through mediation - you can find independent mediators here: You will need to at least attend a mediation information and assessment meeting (MIAM) to assess if mediation is suitable before you are able to proceed to court.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you