How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My daughter's fiancée committed suicide last September without

This answer was rated:

My daughter's fiancée committed suicide last September without leaving a will. They had been living together for 3+ years and she had looked after him through all his illnesses. His blood mother is next of kin by default and has applied for probate to access his death in service ( 70K +) They are refusing to help my daughter even though her fiancée has left her with significant debts (14K). However the only proof of these are through her bank details. She as been ignored sine his death, and is now being actively bullied so the mother and stepfather can have the money. What do you suggest?
Hi, thank you for your question. As there was no will, under intestacy rules, you can use this calculator to see who is automatically entitled to his estate:, cohabitees have no automatic entitlement to inherit from their partner. However, if 1. she was maintained by her partner in whole or in part immediately before the death; or 2. for two years prior to the death of the deceased they lived in the same household as if they were husband and wife, then she is able to apply under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 for the court to make "reasonable provision" for her.In relation to the debts, if these were in the sole name of the partner, then this should be settled from his estate and not by your daughter.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you