How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Can my partner's ex put a stop to divorce procedings? They

This answer was rated:

Can my partner's ex put a stop to divorce procedings? They have the nisi and are waiting for the 6 weeks to finish to get the absolute. He petitioned for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour when she had an affair. She moved out of the family home with the children. She did not contest the dovorce. She has discovered that we want to marry and has threatened to 'halt the divorce' in an email to my partner. Can she do this?
Hi, thank you for your question. A court will only agree to delay granting of Decree Absolute if there is a justifiable reason and a delay of remarriage is not a reasonable excuse. Your partner should also be aware that upon remarriage, this ends any financial claim that he has against her, however, even after Decree Absolute she is able to pursue a financial relief claim which can consider all assets and spousal maintenance and this right for her only ends if there is a court order settling the finances, her remarriage or her death.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you