How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been with my partner 30 years but due to work

This answer was rated:

I have been with my partner for over 30 years but due to work commitments we didn't start living together until 13 years ago. He made a will out when he divorced his wife over 25 years ago leaving everything to his only daughter. We did make arrangements 2 years ago to get married but he was trying to recover from prostate cancer and we put it off. At the moment he is really poorly and I am controlling everything. How do I stand if anything happens to him as the house is in his name and paid for, also there are 2 bank accounts solely in his name and the family car is in his name with me being the sole driver, I just feel in limbo land as to where I stand as I gave up everything to live with him.
Hi, thank you for your question. As there is a will in place, that will be the first point of call.However, the law allows a claim for provision to be made from his estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975) by dependants if they are persons for whom the intestate person might reasonably have been expected to make provision.A surviving cohabitee can make a claim if the deceased died intestate or failed to provide for them in the Will if:1. they were maintained by the deceased in whole or in part immediately before the death of the deceased; or2. for two years prior to the death of the deceased they lived in the same household as the deceased as if they were the husband, wife or civil partner of the deceased.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you