How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband divorced his first wife c17years ago. Part of

This answer was rated:

My husband divorced his first wife c17years ago. Part of that settlement was the equity from the marital home was frozen at that point and he signed the house over to her with the agreement that he would receive his share of the equity when his son turned 18. His son is approaching 21 and we still don't have his share of the equity. He has spoken with her frequently over the last 2 years but is just fobbed off. What steps should we take to enforce the agreement please?
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are they in England or Wales?-Was the agreement approved in a court order?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all in England. The agreement was detailed in the divorce settlement which was certified by both solicitors at the time
Thanks - was the financial settlement approved by the court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're not sure, we thought so as it's detailed on the settlement. How would we be able to find out or would there be any indication on the paperwork? Sorry to be so vague, it's such a long time ago!!
No worries - the financial settlement will be as a court order approved by a judge and sealed with a court stamp.If it is approved by a court, then he can apply to have the order enforced using form D11 and a £155 court fee.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you