How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I live in London and my ex partner and my daughter moved to

Customer Question

I live in London and my ex partner and my daughter moved to Rotherham. I have never missed a maintenance payment and have regular contact with my daughter. I have asked my Ex if she could drive halfway to meet me to handover my daughter, she has refused and says if I want to see my daughter I have to pick her up and drop her off. I have now received a solicitors letter stating that she is not willing to do so.
This means every time I see my daughter I have to book a hotel in Rotherham, this is on top of maintenance payments.
Please could you advise if I have any rights.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Kind regards
Jermaine Walsh
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow old is the child and when did the move take place?Do you pay maintenance via the CMS/CSA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ClareThanks for your response.
My daughter is 5 (23/9/2010)
They moved to Rotherham in August 2014.
We split up over 4 years ago.
I make regular payments through ammicable agreement.
Before they moved to Rotherham I was paying £650 pm and now I pay £280 pm plus hotel, fuel and new clothes every 3rd weekend. (Got bank statements to prove).
Hope this helps.Thankyou
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What is your gross income - and what travel arrangements have you suggested?Do you have your daughter overnight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My gross income is 43k.
I would like to meet halfway.
Yes I have to book a hotel so I can have my daughter overnight.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Does your ex drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is there a realistic half way point?Is there any actual reason why driving could be a problem for her?Do you have extra time in the School holidays?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are plenty of services, I would even let her choose. I am flexible.
I can't see any problems with her driving.
There is never any problem with times and access seeing my daughter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare,
What do you advise?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delayGiven that she is the one who has moved it s not unreasonable for you to ask her to share the cost of travel so that you can have your daughter home - and for longer periods of time.You need to attend a mediation Information and Assessment Meeting - and to try and discuss matters with your ex using Family MediationIf that fails then you can apply to the court for a Specific Issue Order.Given the circumstances it is likely that any such application will be successfulPlease ask if you need further details