How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I'm having a difficult time with my baby's dad. We broke up

Customer Question

Hello I'm having a difficult time with my baby's dad. We broke up and things were still good between us he saw his daughter every Wednesday and every weekend. He is now with someone who has pleaded guilty in court for sleeping with a minor. I have given him the chance to see his daughter down my house as I don't want her around a peadophille. He refuses and says he's going to take me to court I was wondering where I stand with it all as Im now at the point where I don't want him to see her at all... I have given him many chances to come down to mine and see her but he turns it down.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old is the child?

-What have the arrangements been to date?

-Is he named on the birth certificate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will be 2 in a couple of weeks. I think its been the last three weeks I have stopped him from seeing her. His partner is back in court on the 7th of June for sentencing and yes he is on the birth certificate
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Firstly, given the concerns you have raised, this is reasonable to refuse contact without there being safety provisions in place for him to have contact - which you appear to have proposed by offering contact supervised at your home.

If he pursues an application to court, the court will allocate a CAFCASS officer (a court officer) to interview both of you and carry out background and police checks on you both, and any partners or members of both your households. The officer then makes a recommendation to court about what orders should be made. The history of his partner is likely to raise serious concerns about unsupervised contact, however, the child has a right to a relationship with both their parents and therefore there may be a recommendation for there to at least be supervised contact in a contact centre.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you