How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I'm in difficult relationship with wife. She wants to take

This answer was rated:

I'm in difficult relationship with wife. She wants to take extra money on mortgage to put as deposit for a flat on her name only.
If things go to separation how does that affect me?

Hi, thanks for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are you both?
-How long have you been married?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40 and 36
Since 2008,
The kids, 9, 6 and 3, she got another house on her name.,
I'm the only income holder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mob is *********** could you call me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the further information - I apologise but I cannot take a phone call at the moment but will answer your query as it can be dealt with in a message.

As you have been married for 8 years, and have 3 children with your wife, your marriage will be considered a long marriage. The court's starting point in the event of a divorce is a 50-50 split of all assets and initially the equal split will be departed from based on the needs of the children, then the needs of their main carer and then the needs of whoever is not the main carer. There are other factors that the court take into account, such as each of your contributions (both financial and otherwise) and earning potential, but needs are the first thing that will be considered especially when there are children.

So despite the properties being in her sole name they will still be considered as part of financial negotiations.

Is there a reason why you are not putting your name on the title of the property given that you are proposing to make a financial contribution towards it?

If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason for her been on title deed for the other property is that I have a ccj from upside car fine registered at old address. I didn't know about the fine, that resulted in ccj for which I was unaware until recently. And the other property is for her sister, but it can't be on their name as they have IVA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
old car fine...