How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been married 10 years in Cyprus. We are now seperated

Customer Question

i have been married 10 years in Cyprus. We are now seperated and looking at a divorce. I am living in UK and she in Cyprus. I want to buy a property for me to live. Does she have any claim on a property i purchase after we have now seperated. Kind Regards. Andrew
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?
-How old are you both?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i live in England and British National. She is Moldovan with a Cypriot Nationality. We have no children or property or assets together. I am 45 years and she is 36.I as of now do not own any property but she has an apartment in Moldova and a business in Cyprus.My income is approx £2000 a month but i do not no hers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To add, i have been living alone in UK for almost 2 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All i need to no for now is even tho we are not divorced, can i go and buy a house and not have the worry that in the future she will not try to claim any part of this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, despite your separation, you will remain at risk of her pursuing a financial relief application against you (which will consider all assets) and the only way to end any potential claim against you is by there being a court order as part of a divorce settling finances, her remarrying or death.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.