How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have moved out of my house and have turned it into a buy

This answer was rated:

I have moved out of my house and have turned it into a buy to let property. I have offered it to my ex partner who is pregnant on a short term basis while the local council sort her out somewhere to live. I have never co-habited with her and just want to know is it safe to let her stay in my old property temporarily or will she have rights to stay there for some time?

Hi, thank you for your question.

-Are/were you married to her?

-Is she pregnant with your child?

-What are her financial circumstances?

-What are your financial circumstances?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We dated for a few months, didn't marry her.
- She is pregnant with my child.
- She has no income and next to no savings.
- I have two buy to let properties, but live in rented accommodation sharing with a friend.

Thank you for confirming. Firstly she has no legal right to the property, however, as it is your child - if she is unable to secure her own independent accommodation she has a right to make an application to Court under the Children Act for you to provide her support in relation to housing for the benefit of the child, and this could include her attempting to remain in the property. Basically, once she is in the property it could become difficult to remove her from the property especially once the child is born.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you