How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am an irish citizen and separated from my partner 3 years

This answer was rated:

I am an irish citizen and separated from my partner 3 years ago i used to fly over to see and spend time with my children where they lived with my ex and her mother,my children are 10 and 6 and i now want my children to spend time with me in ireland as i want them to know their family my ex agreed to re new the passports for my children so they could go to ireland and now does nt want to do it and will only allow me to see them where they live what can I do as i dont get time with them on their own, i feel it is important for them to spend quality time with me where I live, I set up a business in ireland when i moved back and it has been a struggle to make it work, i have sent money hap hazardly as a result so far this year all i have sent is 1000 pounds

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How often have you seen the children in the last year?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only twice

How long on each occasion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
prior to this year it was more frequent but, im having to spend time in her flat with the kids and i want the kids to spend time with me where i live what i would like is for them to be with me during half term summer holidays and every other christmas ive tried to give her time to adjust to us not being together and not pushed but in the last twelve months it become more difficult
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 to four days

Will she not let you take them out at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a new partner I live in 4 bedroom 3 bathroom house in the country side im a business owner i have no criminal convictions and when we were not together 2 years ago i bought her a car taxed and insured it and also sent several thousand pounds to help with bills etc, when i left the house had been painted the kids had all new furniture etc, etc, the plan was they were coming to ireland and that changed when her mother moved in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can take them out but they have to stay in her flat, I just want the kids to spend time with me where i live, ive tried to reasonable but its getting me no where and now feel i may need to go down the legal route
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know what I can do to resolve the situation as we cannot reach an agreement, i arrived last night and have not seen my kids as she agreed to do the passports and now wont im sitting in a premier inn waiting to meet my kids at a play zone, also her mother is an alcoholic and unemployable and receiving no benefits so the pressure is on my ex to keep a roof over her head this in turn translates to financial pressure on me, I have a new business which has struggled to survive but will come good in the next 12 months this has affected my ability to spend time here as well, Clare I just want to spend time with my children not with my ex and her mother... Is this a unreasonable request

The law says that children are entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts can enforce this if necessary.

It is reasonable for you to wish to have the children overnight - and to take them back to Ireland with you during the holidays

The starting point would be for you to have them overnight in the same area as they live - at an hotel - and then for it to move to Ireland after a couple of visits

The starting point is to try and discuss matters with her using Family mediation

However if that fails then you can apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order - which is likely to be successful in setting up a gradual increase leading to school holidays in your home!

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you