How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife of 15 years and I agreed to divorce where we live

This answer was rated:

My wife of 15 years and I agreed to divorce where we live abroad. We agreed all maintenance and custody issues related to our 2 children, except for the family home back in the UK, which is commonly owned. We lived together briefly in this house before moving abroad.
My wife has been working for several years, however I contributed for at least 75% of the equity of the house.
How should we split the ownership of the house.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Where is the divorce taking place and who will the chidlren live with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare.
The divorce is taking place in the UAE. The children will stay with my wife in a flat provided by me in the UAE.

The starting point for division of the house under UK law would be 50/50 and it is unlikely that any Court would change that in the circumstances

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you