How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35068
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can I add my surname to my daughters passport without my ex

This answer was rated:

Can I add my surname to my daughters passport without my ex partners consent? I would keep my ex partners surname on it but as a middle name.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall od my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is the father named on the Birth Certificate and how old is your daughter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he's named on the birth certificate and my daughter is 2

Then I am afraid that you need his permission - or an Order form the court - to make any changes to her name at all.

You should try and discuss it with him using Family mediation.

If that fails then you can apply to the court for an Order - but will have more chance of success if you wish to double barrel the name

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help

You are most welcome I hope all goes well