How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

We are the grandparents of a15 Yr old boy who is living with

This answer was rated:

We are the grandparents of a15 Yr old boy who is living with a foster family in Letchworth. We live in Kings Langley and it is at least a*****each way. We have been seeing him about once a month and he stays overnight. We used to pick him up from school ( in Hemel) on a Friday and he would stay the weekend and we would return him to school on Monday morning. That was stopped about 3 months ago and we then had to drive up to collect him on sat and drive him back sun evening. We have now had a letter from social services saying we can only see him between. 10 am and 4 pm. How do we stand legally?

Hi, thank you for your question. What are their reasons for the reduction in contact and is there a court order in place for him - if so what is the order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say that Cameron is anxious when he returns. I've the longer the contact, the more anxious he is. He has mild learning difficulties and is labelled as autistic and having add but we are not convinced of this. There is no court order.

Thank you for confirming. As there is no court order the child's placement is voluntary and only the parent's have parental responsibility so they still have the role of making major decisions in the child's upbringing, however as the child is in foster care, day to day decisions has been passed to the local authority and foster carer. They will need to carry out risk assessments in relation to contact with the child and any contact with the family must be in the child's best interests, so if it has a negative impact on him then they have a right to alter the arrangements.

However, if you feel that their decision is incorrect I would suggest that you write to the social worker and the team manager formally setting out your proposals for contact and why you feel it should return to the same level as before.

If they do not agree then you will be left with no choice but to pursue a court application - initially this will be for permission to apply for a child arrangement order, and if permission is granted then for a child arrangement order (to see the child), together with a £155 and £215 court fee (one for each application) to your local family court.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

My name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years including dealing with care cases.

It would help in looking at the way forward if you confirm how your grandson came to be in Care.

Was a Care Order made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. His father and new wife decided they could no longer cope wth him and his behaviour. We offered to look after him full time until a foster family could be found. It was initially for 6 months but ended up being nearly a year

Thank you for the further information, which I had requested previously and you had already answered. The information provided to you in relation to requesting an increase to contact remains the same.

Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you