How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife has left me and wants to sell out jointly owned home

Customer Question

my wife has left me and wants to sell out jointly owned home if refuse can she force me out
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

What other assets are there and what income do you each have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
married 27 years live together 1 year prior to marriage
approx. £180 000
my ISA £3.500 war pension £1275 monthly state pension £208 private pension£ 323
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Then yes I am afraid that as part of the financial side of divorce proceedings she can indeed force a sale so that you each have your share of the equity with which to move forward

I am sorry to give such bad news

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she does not want a divorce just an amicable separation can she move me out in these circumstances or does she have to get a divorce
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Without a divorce she can only make you leave if you are violent towards her whilst she is living there.

However she can use Property Law to apply for a sale as well as Family law