How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been married to my boyfriend of 6 years, only 3 weeks

This answer was rated:

Hello. I have been married to my boyfriend of 6 years, only 3 weeks ago. I have British citizenship and he is American. During my honeymoon I found out he was in touch with his mistress. I would like to annul the marriage. Do you think is possible? We don't have kids.

Hi, thank you for your question. The only grounds to annul a marriage are:
-it wasn’t consummated - you haven’t had sex with the person you -married since the wedding
-you didn’t properly consent to the marriage - eg you were drunk or forced into it
-the other person had a sexually transmitted disease when you got married
Do any of the above grounds qualify? If not, unfortunately you will not be able to apply for annulment. In that case you would need to wait until a year after date of marriage and you can petition for divorce under unreasonable behaviour.
I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you