How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My grandson as lived with me 11 years but I do not any legal

This answer was rated:

My grandson as lived with me for over 11 years but I do not any legal rights for him. Will I be able to receive legal aid if I want to go to court and make it official.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old is your grandson and where are his biological parents?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ryan is 12 years old. His mother is Rebecca Lock and father is ***** *****.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His mother lives in Wolverhampton an his father lives Tamworth

Will either of them object to your having Parental Responsibility for the child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His mother won't let me have parental responsibility not sure about his dad. But he does not want to live with them. He sees his mother most week's and his dad once every couple of months.

Why will his mother not agree to your sharing PR?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know we had a row a couple of years back and she will not have anything to do with me. Will not talk to me.

I am afraid that Legal Aid is not available for the legal side of this - but it is not difficult or expensive to deal with this yourself.

The starting point is to try and discuss matters with the parents using Family Mediation,uk

For which legal aid IS still available

If they agree a Consent order can then be sent to the court confirming that your grandson lives with you which gives you Parental Responsibility so long as he lives with you - until his 16th birthday.

If the mother will not attend mediation then you will need to apply to the court using a Form C100

and paying the fee of £215.

You may be eligible for fee remission

You will need to tick the box asking for permission to apply on the C100 - but you will be successful given all the circumstances

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your help

You are most welcome i hope all goes well

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you