How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
Family Law
This answer was rated:

My brother and s wife live with my mother, I have recently

My brother and his wife... Show More
My brother and his wife live with my mother, I have recently just found out that my sister in-law does not contribute to any of the bills, the reason for this is my brother told my mum they come as one, I am not sure how to approach this as they have been living there now for 14yrs.
Show Less
Ask Your Own Family Law Question

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How old is your mother and what are her feelings about this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
She is 87 and I feel it is very wrong what he has been doing, she has three children two daughters and a son, and we all had to pay board when we were at home, his wife should not come free.

Does your mother still have mental capacity?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

If your mother still has mental capacity then sadly there is a limit to the actions that you can take other than to have a heart to heart with your brother about his behaviour.

The other alternative is to discuss matters with your mother first, prepare a budget based on the bills and then arrange a discussion between all three of you

I am sorry I know that this is not what you wished to hear but sadly it is the position that you are in

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** not a strong woman at the moment and he can be a bit of a bully.

Then take her out for the day, talk to her about it and help her do a budget - then ask if she wants you to deal with it for her

Better still talk to her about giving you Power of Attorney so that you have the power to deal with it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Thank You I will.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well