How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can my ex girlfriend stop my name going on birth certificate

This answer was rated:

hi can my ex girlfriend stop my name going on birth certificate as she dose not want to be with me anymore but i still want to be there for the baby and be a father.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Your ex can indeed register the birth without your name going on the certificate

However this doe snot mean that it cannot be added later - nor does it mean that you will not have a relationship with the child.

the law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary

You should try and discuss matters with your ex using Family Mediation

If that fails then after the baby is born you will have to make an applictaion to the court for a Child Arrangement Order

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you