How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My partner moved in 7 years ago to my property which has a

Customer Question

my partner moved in 7 years ago to my property which has a mortgage on it but is solely in my name .over this period he has put money into the house as we had an extension built 4 years ago and he was the main earner.we have now split up and to be truthful I am scared of him as he is refusing to move out unless I pay him the money he has put in.i only earn around £1300 per month and cannot afford to give him anything he earns over £4000 and has threatened to burn the house down with me in it if I don't pay him off.where do I stand legally?any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are ypu married to him?-Are there any formal agreements or deeds of trust in place?-How much financial contributions has he put into the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not married, no formal agreements or deeds .£45,000 into the property and £30,000 to clear debts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. Firstly, if you feel at risk or threatened by what he has said you should immediately call the police. Secondly, as his name is ***** ***** the title of the property he has no legal interest in the property. If he were to wish to obtain the money he is requesting he will either need to reach agreement with you or if no agreement can be reached he will need to pursue a court application where he will need to prove that there was agreement between you that his financial contribution will raise a share of the property or for him to be compensated for it - it will be the intention he will need to prove in the absence of any formal agreement.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.