How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband has just inherited the house we are leaving in

This answer was rated:

My husband has just inherited the house we are leaving in now and I am not on the deed, how can I protect my self for the future ?

Hi, thank you for your question. Despite the inheritance, if it is the matrimonial home then you have matrimonial home rights by virtue of the marriage. This can be registered with the Land Registry using form HR1 and your interest will be registered on the title. Your husband will be given notice of this registration.

Furthermore, in the event of a divorce, the home will be considered as part of the matrimonial assets as it is being using as the family home.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the advise.

Thank you - I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris