How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34907
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Looking to get child access to my son, 't know where to

Customer Question

Looking to get child access to my son, don't know where to start. Sent a letter to the mother, she called my mums house for my mobile number which my mum refused to give her. She left her mobile number, I text her from a private source saying all communication was to be written & left my email address. She's sent an email saying she'll await a letter from my solicitor and that she's been advised to see a solicitor too. Where do I go from here? What are the costs going to be? There was no alcohol or drug issues, no domestic violence and my name is ***** ***** birth certificate. Thanks in advance
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Why would you not give her your mobile number?

How old is your child and when did you last see him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke to the citizens advice and they said to keep all correspondence written so I have proof because in the past we have had verbal agreements regarding access that she has backed out on.The child is 6 years old and I have not seen him in over 4 years. Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

That was unfortunate advice in terms of setting up arrangements.

However the starting point is to arrange to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting with a Family Mediator

to try and set up a discussion with your ex to arrange for contact to start at a local Contact Centre

If she refuses then you will have to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think she will be happy with family mediation, she's wanting to go straight down the legal route. Could you advise on how I begin to get a child arrangement order, what the timescale roughly on this would be and what average costs are for this? Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You will have to go to the Mediation appointment first

They will give you the form you need to move forward

The court fee is £215

It will take between three and six months to complete the process

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm in Scotland, is the court fee the same? Do I need a solicitor to represent me in a court case and how much will this cost me if so? I'm already paying child maintenance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've also tried the mediation link above and that only covers England & Wales, is there a separate service for Scotland? Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Here you are !

The Cpurt fee is in fact lower - but I cannot find the latest list !

You do not need a solicitor unless you prefer to use one