How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I need to find out how to go about getting to see my grand

This answer was rated:

I need to find out how to go about getting to see my grand children legally.

Hi, thanks for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are the children?

-When did you last see or have contact with them?

-What issues is the mother raising?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my grand children are age 4 and 2, it must be over a year ago since i last seen them.
The mother is been very unreasonable and refusing to allow my son to have access to them, she have even gone back on arrangments made through the court in the past.
What are my rights as a grand mother.

Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, grandparents do not have automatic rights to contact with their grandchildren - however, the children do have a right to a relationship with their extended family which can only reasonably be restricted if there are child protection concerns or if it is in the children's best interests.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court initially for leave to apply (as you do not have parental responsibility) and then if leave is granted the court will deal with a child arrangement order application and they can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1.The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you