How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

We agreed to divorce but surprisingly he petitioned me as I

This answer was rated:

We agreed to divorce but surprisingly he petitioned me as I had endured a 25 year violent marriage. I didn't want to contest the proceedings so I agreed. We received the decree nisi in January 2010 but he refuses to obtain the decree absolute. He lives in Qatar and I live in Bulgaria. How do I obtain a divorce without returning to the UK?

Hi, thanks for your question. As he has not applied for decree absolute you can now do so using this form
The court may ask why it has taken you so long to apply for it and they may respond asking you to prepare a statement explaining this so ensure you include your address and contact details.
I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you