How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10956
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My grandmother was born in Belfast. She moved to England and

Customer Question

My grandmother was born in Belfast. She moved to England and legally adopted my father in England when he was 6. I was born in England. Can I claim an Irish passport?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dad is in his 50's I'm 33
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lee

Thanks for your question.

Potentially, I believe there is an arrangement where a person born in Northern Ireland can obtain an Irish passport. Whilst this applies to your grandmother a person can potentially claim Irish nationality through birth, marriage, naturalisation and decent. Your claim is through decent via you grandmother.

This is an Irish law question and the Irish Embassy can advise further.

Good luck.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Lee, you have an entitlement to an Irish passport because you have a grandmother born on the island of Ireland. Go to the website of the Irish Immigration and Naturalisation Service where you can download the forms to fill in to apply for an Irish passport. Be aware that all persons with a grandparent born in Ireland can claim an Irish passport. This includes all person born in Northern Ireland because for Irish citizenship purposes, the jurisdiction of Ireland extends to the whole island of Ireland.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.