How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My son has just lost s job due to a health and safety error

Customer Question

My son has just lost his job due to a health and safety error on his making. He has 3children aged 7-6 and 4 who he has to stay with hi 2 nights a week since the separation of him and his partner. He has signed on to the dole for now and intends to start up his own busines which I'm quite confident he can do, however in the short period he can not carry on paying the £500 month he has been paying the mother of his children. They are now threatening to ask gor full custody of his children and this has up set him as he is a good father and has provided well for them. Can they do this and have you any advice for him
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son is 30yrs old and worked as a Sky engineers and lost his job due to a slip up on health and safety. He lives in a three bedroom flat and gas his children t night a week. He has supported them financially while he has been separated from the mother of the children by splitting the cost of all gifts and clothes and he has also given her £500 per month. Since he has lost his job he does not have the funds to carry on with the £500 month until his situation changes. He is willing to contribute but not to this level. His ex partner is now threatening to go for full custody which my son does not want, he would like to go for a 50/50 responsibility for them
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Firstly, the children have a right to a relationship with him which can only be reasonably restricted if there are child protection concerns. Him losing his job is not in itself a child protection concern, however if he was no longer able to meet their needs then this may be raised as a concern. Furthermore, the mother cannot stop contact between them due to his finances and not being able to contribute the same amount of child maintenance.

In relation to the amount please confirm how this amount was reached? Was it through direct agreement between them or are the CSA/Child Maintenance Service involved?

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.