How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I rent a property in my sole name. My partner lives with me

This answer was rated:

I rent a property in my sole name. My partner lives with me & our relationship is over but he wont leave, where do I stand?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you married?

-Are there any formal agreements?

-Do you have any children together, if so how old and what are the proposed arrangements for them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we aren't married
No formal agreements
My children live here but we have none together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is abusive & nasty & it's upsetting us all. He has money he won't be homeless.

What abuse has happened and how old are your children? Have they witnessed the abuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its verbal abuse when he is drunk which is quite often lately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
children are 10 & 14

Thank you for confirming. Firstly, as you are not married and his name is ***** ***** the tenancy he has no right to remain in the property and he must leave upon reasonable notice. If he does not leave then you can call the police as he will be considered a trespasser.

Furthermore, if he continues to abuse you or if he returns to the property, you can consider applying to court for a non-molestation order (which is an injunction) using form FL401 to your local family court.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks for confirming my position, to get the answers so quickly without having to make appointments etc at a time like this is invaluable.

I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris