How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Following an appeal made by my ex-husband - the Upper

Customer Question

Following an appeal made by my ex-husband - the Upper Tribunal awarded in my favour and our daughter's maintenance payments were set and continued. My ex-husband's earnings had been declared and assessed by a forensic accountant but he had not declared that he was in the process of purchasing a 6 bed house - preferring instead to allow the tribunal to believe he continued to live in rented accommodation. I only found out about this when he sold the house before Christmas 2015/6 and had following a variation the maintenance was increased by £1,400 pcm. The CSA said this was the maximum they could award but suggested applying for a 'top up' and I wonder how to do that and could this variance be backdated three years? This could amount to 30K my ex-husband is a solicitor practicing in employment law and was a senior partner in a firm but now operates as an independent. Please advise. Many thanks ps our only child is 16 and I understand maintenance stops when she is 18. She had just sat 11 GCSEs and is predicted A*s for all. Her father is not willing be become involved in her life and has always avoided paying and doesn't send cards or presents either. She wants to go to university and is aiming for Cambridge/Oxford. Can we arrange some kind of continued maintenance in the future?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Original appeal was for an increase from 50.0pcm and was increased to £900.00 with three years' arrears.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Was there a financial Order made within the divorce proceedings?

What income does your ex have?