How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am from Romania, I worked in UK from 01.07.2015 like a

This answer was rated:

I am from Romania, I worked in UK from 01.07.2015 like a nurse, all most one year.
My husband is working like a HGV driver, and my daughter is 14 years old and she is doing the school here. Both we have permanent jobs in UK.
What paper we need to can have a permanent work, or to have right to live permanent in UK?


When did you arrive in the UK? Just before 01.07.2015?

Kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We arrived in 01.07.2015.

Thanks.I will be able to answer in about 15 mins.


Thanks for your question. Sorry for the slight unforeseen delay. I will try to help.

“Permanent Residence” is the right to remain permanently in the UK without needing to make an further immigration applications or even to work.

As an EEA national exercising their treaty rights in the UK you will only be eligible to apply for PR once you have been here for 5 years exercising your treaty rights (usually this is done by working). During the 5 years you must be careful not to claim excessive benefits.

So, if you entered and started working on 01.07.2015 then you will only be eligible to apply for PR on 02/07/2020 so you have a little while to go yet before you can apply for PR.

The page on applying for PR is here:

Obviously, the rights of EEA nationals based in the UK will form part of the UK’s negotiations with the EU. So you will have to keep an eye on what happens over the coming months/years. It’s probable that you will retain a right to work here for the period of time that you require in order to reach 5 years in the UK so that you can apply for PR though.

You are likely to be fine, basically.

As an EEA citizen, you can apply for a “registration certificate” in the meantime (ie. before you reach 5 years in the UK). This is a certificate which proves that you have a right to work in the UK and is useful to produce to any employer who wants to proof that you have the right to work in the. You don’t have to apply for it but you can if you wish:

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.Do you think is better to apply before to have 5 years in UK,on EEA QP,for me and my family?


No. You cannot apply for PR before you reach 5 years in the UK, it would be rejected.

You can apply for the registration certificate referred to at the end of my answer any time you like, but you must have been in the UK for 5 years to apply for PR.

Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But before to have 5 years in UK, can I apply for EEA QP like a worker to have permanent right for work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand now permanent residence card is EEA QP (qualified person).After I apply for this I still need anything else? blue card ? or I just wait to go fast 5 years?


EEA QP is the name of the form that you use to apply for a registration certificate. You can apply for this now, you do not have to wait. Once you have this it shows that you have the right to work in the UK.

An application for PR is made by submitting form EEA (PR) which you can only do after 5 years.

You have to retain all documents (eg. bank statements, tenancy agreements, utility bills etc) over the 5 years as proof that you have exercised your treaty rights in the UK.

Please leave positive feedback.


Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.Was usefull.I pay but is worth it.

Thanks. Good luck